Changing the calendar from one year to the next is usually a time of great reflection. You see lots of ‘year in review’ segments on the news and other television shows. So many clips of major world news events, sports happenings, famous people who have died. I never expect there to be quite so many.
One reflects on the happenings, good and bad, of the previous year and looks to the new year with hope and expectation.
Will this year be better than last? Will my life fall into place this year? Will I win the lottery, be the next YouTube star, find my keys?
As I was pondering my life of this past year and what 2017 would bring, so many thoughts were going through my head.
“Didn’t quite accomplish all of last year’ resolutions.”
“Will I finish this next year strong?”
“What’s for dinner?”
The ONE big thought I had was that old existential question “who am I?”
I remember many times in my life wondering this; as a teenager, a college graduate, a newlywed, when I turned forty.
As the seasons change in our lives, so will our purpose.
Here is what I came up with.
Who Am I?
I am a Child of God put on this earth now for a purpose; for several purposes, actually:
- To glorify God in all that I do. To praise and love Him
- To be Mom to my three children. To nurture and discipline, support and teach. To help raise up the next generation of Christ followers.
- To be wife to my husband, Randy. To love, care for, support, cherish, respect, enjoy, communicate with, encourage, make love to.
- To encourage other by singing, writing and speaking individually and in groups.
- To learn and grow as Christ works in my life (Phil. 1:6)
- To love others
May you find inspiration to answer these questions for yourself. Start with an open mind and heart. If you need more inspiration read Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I know it’s scary but you’ll be glad you did.
What is YOUR purpose?